In its almost 40 years of existence, established in 1982, the subterranean location of Tenth Street Station in the basement of the infamous Idanha Hotel building has become both a mecca for the pilgrimage of service industry denizens and a historical destination for local and nationally known artists, musicians, literary types, and even an occasional politician that patronize the establishment for its comfortable and conversational atmosphere.
Largely a working class bar throughout its history, it has maintained its laid back ambiance in spite of the current saturation of boutique bars and their competitive nature of being a place to be seen, not a place to relax and enjoy a drink or two while spending quality time with your friends, colleagues, or just by yourself. Its quaint space with limited capacity and the loyal patronage of regular customers has allowed it over the years to notoriously been given the moniker, “The Cheers of Boise.”
Prior to 1982 this exclusive space beneath the Idanha Hotel has been various drinking establishments since the building opened its doors in 1901…it has been rumored that it was even a speakeasy during Prohibition. As noted by historian, Dick d’Easum, “The cocktail lounge in the Idanha basement has been through many changes [and names throughout the ‘70s] from Riley’s, to The Slammer, to G.J.’s Lounge, and to the Landmark Lounge” before becoming its current and the longest standing business as Tenth Street Station. Prior to all these other incarnations of the ‘70s, the next most popular and longstanding establishment to take up residence in this space was a club named Weeds-a-Go-Go, yes, a ‘60s night club complete with Go-Go cages and dancers, though after that novelty wore off the owners dropped the “-a-Go-Go” from its business name and reinvented the space more as a lounge under its new name of just The Weeds.